TRANSPORT BRIEFS

TRANSPORT BRIEFS

TAIWANESE JET PLUNGES

INTO HONG KONG HARBORA Taiwanese Boeing 747 plunged into Hong Kong harbor Thursday during a storm, but all 296 people aboard the Taiwanese jumbo jet scrambled to safety.

A government spokeswoman confirmed that nobody had died when the China Airlines jetliner, flying in from Taipei, overshot the runway at Kai Tak Airport as the severe Tropical Storm Ira lashed the British colony.

At least 22 people were taken to the hospital, but only five had minor injuries, and the rest were treated for cold and shock.

The airline's flight 605 came to rest in one piece, with the portholes of the passenger cabin above the waterline. The Boeing's nose, slightly crumpled and missing its cone, was only a few yards from the runway.

HIGHWAY TUNNEL CRASH

KILLS FOUR IN ITALY

BOLOGNA, Italy - Four people died and at least three others were badly injured when fire broke out after over 20 vehicles, including trucks and a crane carrier, crashed in a highway tunnel Thursday, rescue services said.

Thick smoke hampered rescue operations and police said more bodies may be found in the burned-out wreckage in the tunnel on the north-south A1 highway between Florence and Bologna.

TWA EMERGES

FROM CHAPTER 11

NEW YORK - Trans World Airlines Inc. said on Wednesday it emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy after nearly two years of operating under court protection.

The company said the plan of reorganization will result in about $1 billion in debt reduction, while an added $600 million in labor-cost savings over a three-year period was achieved through employee concessions.

Employees now own 45 percent of the airline, with the remaining 55 percent of the equity in the airline owned by creditors, the company said.

TWA entered bankruptcy in January 1992 under the leadership of Carl Icahn, who eventually sold his stake in the airline, calling it the worst investment he ever made.

BOEING REPORTED CLOSE

TO WINNING NEW ORDER

NEW YORK - Boeing Co. is close to winning an order from Southwest Airlines that will launch the aircraft maker's next-generation 737-X airliners, the Wall Street Journal said, quoting sources familiar with the negotiations.

The report said the size of the Southwest order is still undetermined, but the purchase will include at least 20 firm orders and possibly a similar number of options.