LA's Fenix terminal closes after dockworker death

LA's Fenix terminal closes after dockworker death

The Port of Los Angeles' Fenix Marine Services terminal was shut down Wednesday following an incident that left one dockworker dead and another seriously injured. Photo credit:

The Fenix Marine Services (FMS) terminal in Los Angeles was shut down Wednesday when one worker was killed and a second worker was seriously injured in an accident involving a top loader crane.

“According to initial reports, an equipment accident involving a top loader container handler caused the death of one worker and injured the other,” the Port of Los Angeles stated in a release. The details of the accident are under investigation and the names of the workers involved were not yet available. The incident occurred at 7:25 a.m., the port stated.

“My heart goes out to the families of the victims of this tragic accident and to all the brothers and sisters of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union [ILWU],” Gene Seroka, executive director of the Port of Los Angeles, said Wednesday. “It’s particularly tragic that this accident occurred on the day of the ILWU’s annual ‘First Blood’ event, which honors those who have lost their lives working on the waterfront,” he said.

“We are deeply saddened to report the death of an ILWU longshoreman, and the serious injury of another, following an incident that occurred at the FMS container terminal,” Fenix said in a statement. “The safety and well-being of our employees is always our primary concern, and an investigation is underway with local agencies to ensure a cause is identified and will never happen again. Our thoughts and heartfelt condolences go out to their families, loved ones and all of our ILWU colleagues.”

Typically when there is a fatality at a marine terminal, the facility is shut down for a period of time. will provide an update when a reopening date is announced.

Contact Bill Mongelluzzo at and follow him on Twitter: @billmongelluzzo.