The six members of the G6 – Hapag-Lloyd, NYK Line, OOCL, Hyundai Merchant Marine, APL and Mitsui O.S.K. Lines – today released details on the port rotations of its proposed service expansion to its Asia-west coast of North America and trans-Atlantic trade lanes, which were unveiled in December 2013.
The 17 services, including 12 Asia-North America west coast and five trans-Atlantic routes, are scheduled to start in the second quarter of 2014, following regulatory approval. The G6 Alliance could receive approval from U.S. regulators by early April.
“With the introduction of the Asia-North America west coast and trans-Atlantic services, the G6 Alliance will further strengthen its position to meet shippers’ demand for more comprehensive, seamless and efficient services with competitive transit times,” the member carriers said in a written statement. “Further, each of the G6 Alliance members will be able to offer its customers significantly improved port-pair connections compared to their previous products.”
The G6 Alliance plans to deploy about 76 ships across 12 services connecting 27 Asian and North America west coast ports. Approximately another 42 ships will be deployed across five services, including two pendulum services, in the trans-Atlantic trade lane, calling at 25 ports covering the U.S. East Coast and West Coast, Canada, Panama, Mexico, Netherlands, the U.K., France, Belgium and Germany. The move is expected to intensify pressure on independent operators.
The G6 Alliance was formed in late 2011 and began operations in March 2012 in the Asia-Europe and Mediterranean trade lanes. The cooperation expanded to the Asia-North America east coast route in May 2013. With the proposed expansion, the G6 Alliance, comprising the New World Alliance and the Grand Alliance, will provide a network covering all three major east-west trade lanes, operating a total of 29 services with 240 vessels connecting 66 Asian, American and European ports.
The G6 Alliance’s service rotations will be as follows:
Asia-North America West Coast
- Southeast Asia 1 (SE1):Singapore; Chiwan/Shekou, China; Kaohsiung, Taiwan; Los Angeles; Manzanillo* and Lazaro Cardenas*, Mexico; Los Angeles; Yokohama, Japan; Kaohsiung; and Singapore.
- Southeast Asia 2 (SE2): Laem Chabang, Thailand; Cai Mep, Vietnam; Hong Kong; Los Angeles; Oakland, Calif.; Hong Kong; and Laem Chabang.
- Southeast Asia 3 (SE3): Port Klang, Malaysia; Singapore; Laem Chabang; Yantian, China; Los Angeles; Oakland; Busan, South Korea; Shanghai (Waigaoqiao); Ningbo, China; Yantian; and Singapore.
- South China 1 (SC1): Xiamen, China; Chiwan/Shekou; Yantian; Los Angeles; Oakland; Kaohsiung; and Xiamen.
- South China 2 (SC2): Dachan Bay, China; Hong Kong; Yantian; Kaohsiung; Los Angeles; Kaohsiung; Xiamen; Hong Kong; and Dachan Bay.
- Central China 1 (CC1): Shanghai (Waigaoqiao); Kwangyang, South Korea; Busan; Los Angeles; Oakland; Busan; Kwangyang; and Shanghai.
- Central China 2 (CC2): Ningbo; Shanghai (Waigaoqiao); Los Angeles; and Ningbo.
- Central China 3 (CC3): Qingdao, China; Xingang, Taiwan; Busan; Yokohama, Japan; Los Angeles; Oakland; Dutch Harbor**, Alaska; Yokohama; Busan; Naha**, Japan; and Qingdao.
- Central China 4 (CC4): Shanghai (Waigaoqiao); Ningbo; Los Angeles; Oakland; and Shanghai.
- North Pacific 1 (NP1): Singapore; Laem Chabang; Dachan Bay; Hong Kong; Yantian; Vancouver, British Columbia; Tacoma, Wash.; Seattle; Busan; Kaohsiung; and Singapore.
- North Pacific 2 (NP2): Hong Kong; Yantian; Kaohsiung; Shanghai***; Busan; Tacoma; Seattle; Vancouver; Yokohama; Busan; Kwangyang; and Hong Kong.
- North Pacific 3 (NP3): Qingdao; Ningbo; Shanghai (Yangshan); Busan; Vancouver; Tacoma;
Vancouver; Tokyo; Nagoya and Kobe, Japan; and Qingdao.
- Atlantic Express 1 (AX1): U.K. port***; Rotterdam, the Netherlands; Hamburg, Germany; Le Havre, France; New York; Norfolk, Va.; and U.K. port***.
- Atlantic Express 2 (AX2): Southampton, U.K.; Antwerp, Belgium; Bremerhaven, Germany; Le Havre; Veracruz and Altamira, Mexico; Houston; New Orleans; Charleston, S.C.; and Southampton.
- Atlantic Express 3 (AX3): Antwerp; Bremerhaven; Southampton; Charleston; Port Everglades, Fla.; Houston; Savannah, Ga.; Norfolk; and Antwerp.
- Pacific Atlantic 1 (PA1): Shanghai***; Busan; Kobe; Nagoya; Tokyo; Tacoma; Vancouver; Oakland; Los Angeles; Balboa****, Panama; Panama Canal; Manzanillo, Panama; Savannah; Norfolk; New York; Halifax, U.K.; Southampton; Antwerp; Hamburg; Rotterdam; Halifax; New York; Norfolk; Savannah; Manzanillo; Panama Canal; Los Angeles; Oakland; Yokohama; and Shanghai.
- Pacific Atlantic 2 (PA2): Kaohsiung; Busan; Kobe; Tokyo; Balboa; Panama Canal; Manzanillo; Miami; Jacksonville, Fla.; Savannah; Charleston; New York; Rotterdam; Bremerhaven; U.K. port***; Le Havre; New York; Norfolk; Charleston; Manzanillo; Panama Canal; Balboa; Los Angeles; Oakland; Tokyo; Kobe; and Kaohsiung.
*Only APL and Hapag-Lloyd are participating in these calls.
**Only APL is participating in these calls.
***Terminal to be confirmed.
***Call to be confirmed.