Hundreds of dockworkers at the Port of Hong Kong on Monday voted to end a strike that had disrupted operations at the world’s third-largest container port for six weeks.
“We are pleased to learn that the striking dockers have accepted the 9.8 percent pay rise solution for all job types,” Hongkong International Terminals said in a press release. “This is beneficial for all parties involved: the workers can return to their posts, and the company can focus on restoring the port to its full operational capabilities.”
The dockworkers launched the strike against HIT, a subsidiary of Hutchison Port Holdings Trust, and its five Hong Kong facilities on March 28, seeking better pay and working conditions. They had been seeking pay increases of 20 percent, but appeared ready to lower those demands when talks resumed last week.
More than 100 ships rerouted their services away from HIT’s terminals during the action, and forwarders experienced delays of up to five days for import shipments and two days on exports.
The dockworkers, who are employed by third parties to work HIT’s berths, said they hadn’t received a pay increase in 10 years.
Hong Kong was the world’s third-largest container port in 2012, handling 23.1 million TEUs, trailing Shanghai and Singapore. But growth has been flat, and No. 4 Shenzhen, with 22.9 million TEUs last year, appears poised to overtake Hong Kong.
The contractors agreed Friday to make a final offer of 9.8 percent to all workers, effective May 1, according to Agence France Presse.