Oakland, CA— May 30, 2012 —Navis, a part of Cargotec Corporation and the global technology standard for managing the movement of cargo through terminals, today announced the general availability of the next release of its terminal operating system (TOS), SPARCS N4 2.3. The latest release of SPARCS N4 includes new features and enhancements across the application to provide terminals with the functionality necessary to optimize operations through improved productivity and efficiency.
“We recognize the needs of our global customer base are evolving rapidly. Among those needs, the introduction of larger vessels and faster vessel turnaround times are forcing terminals and ports to implement greater efficiencies, and in many cases, do more with less,” said Bill Walsh, president and CEO of Navis, LLC. “SPARCS N4 2.3 gives our customers the most advanced technology available today to intelligently automate processes, reduce risk and above all, make a positive impact on bottom lines.”
Major enhancements to SPARCS N4 2.3 include the following:
- Greater Support for Automated Terminal Equipment: Navis’ ACS Manager now supports terminal systems that use a database-based API. Additionally, the newest version of SPARCS N4 can process and display scanned images for each gate lane, improving visibility and efficiency overall.
- Enhanced Yard Editor and Expert Decking Functionality: SPARCS N4 2.3 offers new enhancements to greatly improve container management and tracking in the yard. Additionally, the software delivers improved Expert Decking configurations for reach stackers and straddle rows.
- Improved Gate Operations and Appointment Management: The Multi-Gate and Multi-Facility Gate Clerk now offers an easy-to-use interface to process multiple gate transitions for trucks at different gates or facilities in a complex. As a result, operators can get a single view of active gate lanes and truck visits. Operators can also view and capture images in the SPARCS N4 multi-facility lane monitor.
- Redesigned Community Access Portal (CAP) User Interface: The CAP user interface improves gate and vessel functionality, enabling terminal operators to better-manage truck appointments at the gate in addition to enhanced views into vessel arrival schedules.
- Enhanced Equipment Control: The newest version of SPARCS N4 provides improved equipment control functionality, allowing dispatchers to streamline traffic flow in the yard. Additionally, version 2.3 provides support for Wide Span Gantry Cranes in Quayside operations.
- New Innovations for Rail Operations: Enhanced Rail Autostow functionality empowers operators to drastically improve planning with priority selection options.
- General Cargo Functionality Enhancements: Extend existing cargo support to include more comprehensive Cargo Lot Management, RDT Cargo Tracking, and integration with service orders and electronic data interchange (EDI).
- Enhanced Vessel Visit Management: Helps operators to clearly define vessel transit time between facilities in a complex.
“SPARCS N4 2.3 represents not only the latest in TOS automation and optimization solutions, but also delivers the most up-to-date innovations, directly based on the needs of our global customer base,” said Frank Kooijman, VP of Engineering. “As the market continues to evolve, Navis remains committed to enhancing and expanding our technology, enabling customers to overcome the inevitable market challenges and changes that lie ahead.”
About Navis, LLC
Navis, a part of Cargotec Corporation, is the global technology standard for managing the movement of cargo through terminals, standing the test of time. Navis combines industry best practices with innovative technology and world-class services to enable our customers to maximize performance and reduce risk. Whether tracking cargo through a port, automating equipment operations, or managing multiple terminals through an integrated, centralized solution, Navis provides a holistic approach to operational optimization, providing customers with improved visibility, velocity and measurable business results. www.navis.com
About Cargotec Corporation
Cargotec improves the efficiency of cargo flows on land and at sea – wherever cargo is on the move. Cargotec's daughter brands, Hiab, Kalmar and MacGregor are recognized leaders in cargo and load handling solutions around the world. Cargotec's global network is positioned close to customers and offers extensive services that ensure the continuous, reliable and sustainable performance of equipment. Cargotec's sales totaled EUR 3.1 billion in 2011 and it employs approximately 10,500 people. Cargotec's class B shares are quoted on NASDAQ OMX Helsinki under symbol CGCBV. www.cargotec.com