On May 14, 2014, the Maritime Association of the Port of New York and New Jersey will induct five industry leaders into the International Maritime Hall of Fame. The 21st annual Ship’s Lookout Award dinner will be held at the Grand Hyatt New York.
2014’s awardees are a diverse group, coming from all facets of the industry, said Executive Director Edward J. Kelly.
- Peter Friedmann, Executive Director, Agriculture Transportation Coalition
- Jorn Hinge, President and Chief Executive Officer, United Arab Shipping Company (S.A.G.)
- Carol Notias Lambos, Partner, The Lambos Firm, LLP
- Lambros C. Varnavides, Managing Director and Global Head of Shipping, Royal Bank of Scotland
- Wolf von Appen, President, Ultramar Agencia Maritima Ltda., and Chairman, Grupo Ultramar
Founded in 1873, The Maritime Association of the Port of New York and New Jersey provides a vital service to the region, creating a constant bridge between various maritime groups and waterfront stakeholders. Through outreach, education and advocacy, the association has endeavored to ensure safe and responsible use of the shoreline and waterways. This spans issues of property zoning, environmental regulations and the education of the next generation, to mention a few. “We need people, particularly within the industry, to understand what is needed,” Kelly said.
For more than 140 years, its work has strengthened the commercial maritime industry’s voice and visibility when decisions about land use in this densely urban NY-NJ area are being made.