NORFOLK, VA. – Ten sons and daughters of employees are receiving college scholarships from Norfolk Southern Corporation under the company's annual scholarship program.
Two are recipients of the National Merit Scholarship. They are:
• Alexander Booth, son of Assistant Vice President Intermodal Service Development Cary Booth and Jane Booth, who will graduate from Norfolk Academy, Norfolk, Va., and
• Rachel McFarland, daughter of Engineer John McFarland and Julie McFarland, who will graduate from White Knoll High School, Lexington, S.C.
Recipients of Norfolk Southern Special Scholarships are:
• Haley Beckett, daughter of retired Signal Maintainer Kenneth Beckett and Nancy Beckett, who will graduate from Norwalk High School in Norwalk, Ohio;
• Lauren Dryburgh, daughter of General Manager Thoroughbred Direct Intermodal Services Joseph Dryburgh Jr. and Susan Dryburgh, who will graduate from Upper Merion Area High School in King of Prussia, Pa.;
• Harold Haldren III, son of Road Foreman Engines Andy Haldren Jr. and Valorie Haldren, who will graduate from Liberty Christian Academy in Lynchburg, Va.;
• Alex Kowalski, son of Conductor John Kowalski and Kathy Kowalski, who will graduate from Valley High School in New Kensington, Pa.;
• Caitlin McDaniel, daughter of Hy-Rail Dump Truck Driver Ricky McDaniel and Catherine McDaniel, who will graduate from Fauquier High School in Warrenton, Va.;
• Kristin Ré, daughter of Sheet Metal Worker Arthur Ré and Shay Ré, who will graduate from North Lincoln High School in Lincolnton, N.C.;
• Sarah Richardson, daughter of Senior Designer Linda Richardson and Stephen Richardson, who will graduate from Atlanta Girls School in Atlanta; and
• Vanessa Taveras, daughter of Electrician Timothy Mauch and Maria Mauch, who will graduate from Maumee High School in Maumee, Ohio.
National Merit Scholarship Corporation, an independent, nonprofit organization, selects scholarship recipients. For detailed descriptions of the scholarships sponsored by Norfolk Southern and other corporations, refer to the NMSC website, www.nationalmerit.org .
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway subsidiary operates approximately 21,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal and industrial products.